This wonderful piece of architecture of the city center was built in the twelfth century; in its structure the periods of history that concerned the city of Ferrara are notable, from the facade with its particular structure with three cusps that was begun in the Romanesque style still present in the bottom, the top began some decades later in the Gothic style which remains above the central loggia is fascinated by a magnificent Last Judgement that you do not know the name of the artist, of striking beauty the tower is completely pink and white marble built in Renaissance style. Of particular charm of the S. George and New Testament scenes placed above the central door and left by the sculptor Nicholaus.Sulla 'a ??plaque that commemorates the passage of Ferrara under papal rule.
Inside the Cathedral
The interior of the cathedral was completely rebuilt in the seventeenth century following the earthquake that completely destroyed the interior in 1570, today the style is classic and you can admire fine art works from various periods. The interior is divided into three aisles, the nave on the right will be amazed by the beauty of the works, here we find the Chapel of the Madonna delle Grazie, stored in a beautiful marble altar where they worship the image of the Virgin. Further on we find one of the masterpieces of seventeenth-century master Guercino or the famous painting of the Martyrdom of St. Lawrence followed by The Virgin in Glory with Saints Barbara and Catherine, and the painting of Saints Lawrence and Francis Bastianino by Scarsellino. Beside the main altar there is the tomb of Pope Urban III 1187.
The Bell Tower
The impressive bell tower of the Cathedral was built in 1451-1493 with the characters of the Renaissance style in 1412 the foundations were created while the structure of the tower was placed there in 1450. It was completed in its present form at the end of the sixteenth century, but remained incomplete.
This impressive bell tower was designed and built with a complementary Bricomar of white marble and pink that make her special and evocative image.
Its design is attributed to the famous Genoese architect Leon Battista Alberti, one of the most versatile artistic figures of the Renaissance, but it is not at all sure this attribution.
A striking beauty of the architecture must for lovers of art, history and culture of the city of Ferrara.
The Cathedral Museum was born October 27, 1929 on a project of Professor Giuseppe Agnelli who tried for years to collect a prestigious new arrangement of the important works of art preserved in the Cathedral ferrarese.Fu then set up an exhibition space in the floor above the atrium of the cathedral thereby giving the city a unique landscape of museums in italiani.Il museum in 2000 and changed its headquarters was set up in the church of San Romano.La new site contains important works of particular value which the ancient organ doors depicting the Annunciation and St George Cosme Tura and the dragon, leader of the Ferrarese school of painting, of particular interest are the panels of the Porta dei Mesi of the Cathedral, some sculptures by Jacopo della Quercia and eight large tapestries depicting the Story of St. George and St. Maurelius.