Located in the historic center of Montevideo, across from the Plaza of the Constitution (or Plaza Matriz), the Metropolitan Cathedral is the main Catholic church in the Uruguayan capital. Also known as the Iglesia Matriz (ie Mother Church, thus giving a second name to the square located in front of the church), the building has its roots in the colonial period, namely in 1740, when it was built a brick church on the site now occupied by the cathedral, and later, in 1790, was laid the first stone to start building the new building in neoclassical style. Consecrated in 1804, (when the country gained its independence), the church was elevated to the rank of Metropolitan Cathedral by Pope Leo XIII in 1897. The cathedral is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception and the patron saints of the city (San Felipe and Santiago, that the Apostles Saints Philip and James), and is resting here propro peronaggi illustrious city, be they religious figures or not as bishops, archbishops ecclesiatiche and various other authorities, civil and military. It is no coincidence that in 1975 has been proclaimed as a National Historic Landmark: very ornamental with the interior and a beautiful and harmonious architectural structure, the church today is not only a must for lovers of architecture, but also for those who love history and culture, it is precisely here that have taken place historical events of great importance as the blessing of the flag and the swearing of the first constitution.