Welcome to Siena
The legend tells that Siena was founded by Senio, Remo’s son, one of the founders of Rome. The origin of Siena’s name is still today an object of research: some historians attribute it to the Etruscan Saina family, some others to the Roman Saenii family. Certainly, the development of this town increased only in the Middle Ages, when the town expanded in various directions. Siena was pre-eminently a Ghibelline town and it often “crossed its swords” with the Florentine Guelphs in epic and bloody fights, that marked the history of the Italian Middle Ages. One of the most famous battles took place in Montaperti, on 4th September 1260, when the Sienese defeated the Florentine. Siena reached its full splendour in 1300, when the most part of the civil monuments was built and it was made an attempt to build the new Duomo. In the XIV centuri, the city was attached with the Tuscan Grand Duchy.
Siena is situated 322 mt above the sea level, in the heart of Tuscany. It has kept its typical medieval appearance untouched, with narrow alleys and noble palaces, surrounded by a beautiful hill landscape.
Siena is an ancient medieval town, that was born on three hills and was enclosed by walls. Still today, it welcomes its visitors with this motto, written on the Camollia Door: “Cor Magi tibi Seni pandit” (Siena opens its heart to you, even more than its door). The undisputed symbol of the town is the tower Torre del Mangia, in the renowed Piazza del Campo, that has been the theatre of the Palio for many centuries.